Saturday, October 15, 2011

Baon for next week: Pritong Paksiw na Salmon

I don't really like paksiw na isda especially if it is the type where the fish is cooked in it's complete form, i.e. not chopped up. It feels like the fish died in an aquarium full of vinegar and spices. But because paksiw is such a good Filipino dish that has quite a distinct flavor (probably because of the vinegar, ginger and onions), we at home would resort to frying the fish that was originally in the paksiw. We'd even cook it, to mom's horror,  until it is crispy on the outside.

Anyway, I am not really sure if salmon can be cooked as paksiw but I gave it a try. I was able to buy two big pieces of fish in hanamasa this afternoon. These will be my baon or dinner for next week. It's actually a very simple dish. I just chopped an onion and ginger and placed them in a pan together with some vinegar. I added pepper in the mixture and some seasoning (I don't have Maggi Magic Sarap but I do have Aji Ginisa Mix so that's what I used). Then I placed the fish and a little bit of water and placed in on the stove. Kept the temperature at a moderate level and cooked the fish until there's no more liquid. Once the liquid has evaporated, I took out the onions and ginger, added a bit of oil and then fried both sides of the fish and voila... I have something for lunch next week.

I actually tried it and the dish was quite ok. Maybe a little bit of the ginger flavor was missing... memo to me: use more ginger next time. Oh well... not a bad first attempt. :D

 

No comments:

Post a Comment