Friday, October 7, 2011

Collecting a deck of cards

After my first full week (Sunday to Saturday) in Tokyo, I've come to realize that technology plays a central role in the lives of the people here. The very basic thing like entering a room is dependent on technology, even riding the train and even borrowing books and photocopying things.

What do I mean by technology? Well, here in Japan, during the first few days of being here, we were given these cards: (From the top left)
1. TIEC card - which i use to enter the dorm and get in my room.
2. My teki or train pass which I use to ride the trains (at a discounted rate too)

3. The copy card which I use to photocopy documents and print.

4. Brastel call card - which I got from Yotsuya Church. This I use to call home at a cheaper rate. 

5. Finally, my GRIPS ID card which I use to enter the  school premises and to enter the library and to borrow books.

I am expecting to receive three more cards soon:

1. My alien card
2. My national health insurance card
3. My ATM card

I think it is because of Japan's highly developed technological capability that they have started resorting to key cards for everything. Now, I have to figure out a way of keeping these things organized in my wallet or in my bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment