Monday, September 5, 2011

Calea-Bacolod Cake shop

One of the most highly-recommended eating places in Bacolod is Calea along Lacson Street. You can tell it is very popular because it never runs out of people. There are so many people in the cake shop that some would spill over outside and opt to dine underneath the moonlight.

I was fortunate enough to try a number of their cakes even the entire selection of their brownies (I brought it to my relative's house for dessert). Of course, I had to try their best seller which is (if I remember correctly), Imported Chocolate Cake (Too bad, I was not able to take a picture). Anyway, what I was able to document were these two cakes that we had on our first visit there.

This one on the left is an ice-cream filled cake with two flavors of ice cream: chocolate and strawberry. It is topped with chocolate syrup made from pure tablea which makes it really authentic chocolate syrup (none of that artificial chocolate syrup for me, please). The slices of cake that sandwich the ice cream were really moist and soft. These complement the ice cream by providing a soft texture to the coldness of the ice cream.

 I also tried the white cheese cake which is a baked cheese cake topped with bits of white chocolate. Because it was baked, there is a smoothness and creaminess to the cheese cake that really makes each bite delightful. There is very little crust too so each slice just melts in your mouth like what an ideal cheese cake should be.

One bone to pick though about their best seller (to think, this was their best seller). As I mentioned, I was not able to take a picture (probably because of disappointment!). Their chocolate cake was not moist. Heck, even some of the brownies that I brought home were not moist. Perhaps, in their production process because of the sheer volume of orders, they tend to produce too many cakes that they have to store for too long in the freezer reducing the moistness of the cakes ( I don't know, heck what do I know). But there. I am sure their best seller should be at par or even better that the two that I was able to document. Next time, I will give it another chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment